Re: [TCLUG:6179] RH6.0 install

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 12:37:37AM -0500, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> At 10:56 AM 5/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >> I am trying to install RH6.0 on my box at work and I am getting a weird
> error:
> >>
> >> Mount failed
> >> Invalid Arguement
> >
> >I would bet that the swap partition wasn't formatted correctly.  I seem to
> >remember having that problem before..
> >
> >Of course, the output of typing in 'mount' might be helpful here (it would
> tell
> >us which partition is not getting mounted..)  Also, the output of 'free'
> would
> >say if the swap partition is getting used at all..
>
> RH6.0 installation routine does not allow you a term session where you
> could inquire on various parameters.  I was able to get past this problem
> by formatting the drives, get the error, and then on the second pass,
> install the packages.

Note that you can press Alt-F2, Alt-F3, etc. during the Redhat install
and see the resulting output on different virtual consoles. During a
6.0 install, console 2 is a root shell. Consoles 3 & 4 show various
actions and results of the install process.

> However, this brought up a new list of problems.  No matter the size of the
> /usr partition, RH would report it needed more size.  I started with a
> partition size of 1 GB and all the packages together were less than 500 MB.
>  You can ignore the warning and install anyway, which I did.  The
> installation routine installed all the packages and proceeded to tell me
> that there was an error configuring the mouse.  You can go around it by
> using the menu command but each succeeding point also reports a
> configuration error (timezones, printing, etc).  It is at this point I
> stopped.  Two points the previous email brought up.  I did not roll my own
> CD, I purchased the media by way of  CheapBytes.  The second is that I am
> able to boot from the CD (I tried both, CD and boot disk).

You should *not* be getting these kinds of errors.  Something is fundamentally
wrong with your install. I purchased 15 CDs from CheapBytes and have personally
used three. Friends and co-workers have used the others. The CDs all worked
fine.