Re: [TCLUG:6179] RH6.0 install

At 07:42 PM 5/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> error:

>> >I would bet that the swap partition wasn't formatted correctly.  I seem to
>> >remember having that problem before..
>> >
>> >Of course, the output of typing in 'mount' might be helpful here (it would
>> tell
>> >us which partition is not getting mounted..)  Also, the output of 'free'
>> would
>> >say if the swap partition is getting used at all..
>>
>> RH6.0 installation routine does not allow you a term session where you
>> could inquire on various parameters.  I was able to get past this problem
>> by formatting the drives, get the error, and then on the second pass,
>> install the packages.
>
>Note that you can press Alt-F2, Alt-F3, etc. during the Redhat install
>and see the resulting output on different virtual consoles. During a
>6.0 install, console 2 is a root shell. Consoles 3 & 4 show various
>actions and results of the install process.
>>
>> However, this brought up a new list of problems.  No matter the size of the
>> /usr partition, RH would report it needed more size.  I started with a
>> partition size of 1 GB and all the packages together were less than 500 MB.
>>  You can ignore the warning and install anyway, which I did.  The
>> installation routine installed all the packages and proceeded to tell me
>> that there was an error configuring the mouse.  You can go around it by
>> using the menu command but each succeeding point also reports a
>> configuration error (timezones, printing, etc).  It is at this point I
>> stopped.  Two points the previous email brought up.  I did not roll my own
>> CD, I purchased the media by way of  CheapBytes.  The second is that I am
>> able to boot from the CD (I tried both, CD and boot disk).
>
>You should *not* be getting these kinds of errors.  Something is
fundamentally
>wrong with your install. I purchased 15 CDs from CheapBytes and have
personally
>used three. Friends and co-workers have used the others. The CDs all worked
>fine.

That's just it, I used the CD to install RH6 on two boxes at home.  I
pulled the harddrive out and put it in my box at home for grins and giggles
but there was no joy.  I am to the point where I think it may be the
harddrive?  It is a Western Digital 8GB drive with 4GB taken up by an NT
installation.  The only thing different on this drive than normal was the
tech who put the box together left the jumper on single (no other drives)
rather than master for the primary IDE channel.

I appreciate all the suggestions! I believe that the spirit of Bill has
been placed on this box and Linux refuses to be installed in such an
unhealthy atmosphere.

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.