New kernel

I just built myself a svelte new kernel.  I'm now having two problems:

1) I decided to compile support for my ne2000 compat directly in, instead
of using it as a module.  Now it can't seem to find it.  I am using
"ether=9,0x2a0" at the boot prompt.  Those are the exact same IRQ/IO
settings I was using when it was a module.

2) I get an error during the portion of the boot process where it mounts
local filesystems stating that it can't find the 'devpts' module or the
'nls_iso8859-1' module.  I can't seem to find reference to either one in
the 'make xconfig' menu.

Any ideas?
Ben

--