Re: [TCLUG:10407] Question: mailbox format under Mutt

On Nov 22, 1999, Chris Gregerson <c.gregerson@usinternet.com> wrote:

> One relates to email and reading this list(the digest), as well as other
> mail. I'm using Mutt, and browsing new mail gives me the "folder is not a
> mailbox" error.

Sounds like you might have it set up for the 'mh' or 'maildir' format.
This is controlled by the $mbox_type variable (usually in the .muttrc
file).  It defaults to 'mbox', which is what I use.  These two links
will tell you what you need to know:

 http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.6
 http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#mbox_type

Essentially, the 'mh' and 'maildir' mailbox types require special files,
e.g. .mh_sequences, to exist in mail folders so it knows which
directories are supposed to be mail folders.  The 'mbox' format doesn't
have this requirement.  I think if you have your heart set on one of
these formats, you can simply 'touch' the appropriate file.

John