Re: [TCLUG:8939] Recording Audio Tapes

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> The cables are easy. The problem is that headphone jacks aren't usually
> line-level. You'll want to find some impedance balancer. A cheesy one
> might be had from Radio Shack, otherwise expensive (~$100 - 200) from pro
> audio dealers. Look around in the classifieds on harmony-central.com.

Um, let me set the record straight here.  There is no impedance problem
with using a headphone out jack as the imput to a soundcard.  Since most
modern electronic inputs are voltage not current mode devices, you want
the output impedance to be at least 10 times less than the input
impedance.  A headphone amp will have a very low output impedance, and
will have absolutely no trouble driving your input.

HOWEVER, C.R.P. is completely correct that a headphone output is not your
best choice.  Usually they are pretty noisy, which isn't a function of
impedance here, but gain staging / cheap implementation.

Best thing to do?  Try it, and yes Radio Shaft is probably the place to
look for cables.

A "Tape out" jack on your stereo is what you're looking for anyway.

Good luck, and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm jumping on this one.

Phil Mendelsohn
Chief Engineer
Hotdish Mastering

--
if ($income > $expenses OR $time != $money )
	set hell_frozen=true;