Re: [TCLUG:8939] Recording Audio Tapes

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Scott K. Johnson wrote:

> I've got just the standard SB16 or comparable type sound card and a
> basic shelf system stereo.  What will I need cable wise?  I don't have
> any "audio out" ports on the back of the stereo (other than the
> speakers...).  Can I just plug a cable into the headphone jack then
> into the audio in jack on the card?  Do they even make male/male
> cables?

The cables are easy. The problem is that headphone jacks aren't usually
line-level. You'll want to find some impedance balancer. A cheesy one
might be had from Radio Shack, otherwise expensive (~$100 - 200) from pro
audio dealers. Look around in the classifieds on harmony-central.com.

> What about sound software?? Any suggestions??

Gramofile rules. Available from Freshmeat.net.

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/

  'I can't understand why people are afraid of new ideas.
  I'm afraid of the old ones.'
  -- John Cage