Re: [TCLUG:9081] Apache authentication trouble

> Please forgive the obvious suggestion, but did you restart Apache after
> changing the config files?
>
> -Tim

ahhh, sure I can...

Actually that seems to be part of the problem. I wasn't sure if I
needed to do such a thing or not. A few times I just rebooted the
server, but nothing seemed to change at all. Today when I booted up
the RH system and tried to go to my home page, I was immediately
greeted with a please authenticate form. I wasn't able to do so for
some reason, but at least SOMETHING happened!

I feel like tinkering with it somemore. Can you tell me how I can
shutdown/startup my server without having to reboot my system?

Also, could you explain the difference between MD5 encryption of my
password list over 'standard' encryption?  I noticed some mention of
that in the htpasswd executable. What happens when both Windows and
linux users try to access a secure page? How do I use the password
file in such a case??  Can I use different encryption for different
users within the same password file?

Thank-you,
Mike