Re: [TCLUG:9483] Apache PUTs not allowed

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> Make sure .htaccess in the directory specifies that PUT is allowed, and
> that httpd.conf (usually in /etc/httpd/conf/) allows .htaccess files to
> have that power. Take a look at this URL for more info:

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. You're saying that PUT is not
allowed by default and must be specifically enable throught the use of an
.htaccess file?

On a related note... I was trying to get straight ftp to work from within
Netscape Composer (both http and ftp are theoretically possible). I'm
doing virtual hosting on the server with one virtual host for each school.
The school I'm working on now is called 'garlough' and the base directory
is /home/httpd/garlough. I know it's set up right because I can see
http://www.garlough.isd197.k12.mn.us/ with my browser.

When I create a simple file with Composer and try to transfer it to the
garlough site, it tells me that I don't have permission to write in that
directory. I went in and did a 'chown -R wilson.wilson garlough/' from the
/home/httpd directory and it still doesn't work. How could I not have
permission to write in a directory that I own? Hmmm...

I'd appreciate any enlightenment that any of you could send my way. Who
knows, maybe one of you will be the wind beneath my wings. :-)

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/