Re: [TCLUG:8272] JetDirect revisited

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> What back last year, I asked about JetDirect support under Linux. See
>
> 	http://archives.real-time.com/tclug-list/Attic/All/msg01284.html
>
> For details. Well, we just got a new printer with a built in Ethernet
> interface and I have done the same /etc/printcap that worked on the JetDirect
> card:
>

> laserjet:\
>         :lp=/dev/null:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=myprinter.real-time.com:\
>         :rp=raw:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
>
> First problem is that a banner page is printed after each print job. Even
> though I have the :sh: attribute true to surpress the banner. Anything else I
> need to do to stop the banner?

JetDirect's have a banner option to turn off and on, just telnet into and
try it...

> Second problem is we have grown and the printer is a busy, I have all the
> computers printing directly to the printer, is the printer smart enough to
> process 1 job at a time?
>
> I tried to make all the computers print to a printer server which prints to
> the printer, but I do not think Linux likes a remote printer printing to a
> remote printer (PC1->print->PC->print->Printer).
>
> This is an HP LaserJet 2100. Any would would be great.

We use JetDirects all over the place here at Kendeco.  I like them, but
there can be some sticky points.  :)

I would recommend having one central spool host.  JetDirects are supposed
to allow more than one machine sending jobs to it at a time, but I've
never gotten real reliability when doing that.  I setup one Linux box to
act as a printer server/spool host, every Unix box and PC send there jobs
there first, and it sends the jobs to the JetDirects.

Also, the lpr/lpd package that is included with RedHat (and other distros)
can have trouble acting as a central print server like this.  I recommend
getting the lorax lpr-0.41 package (source rpm) and try that.  It supports
the AppSocket protocol which allows you to send jobs to the JetDirects
WITHOUT using lpd on the JetDirects.  Sounds like more work, but it's a
simpler protocol and the JetDirects appear to be happy with it more than
lpd.

Using lpr-0.41, just setup your printer queues like this:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
testp17:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/testp17:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=9100@printer17.kendeco.com:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/testp17/filter:

I just told RH's print tool that it's a LOCAL printer and when asked for
the device I put "9100@hostname.of.jetdirect".  Works VERY SLICK!!

Anyway, this is the extent of my knowledge after trying old versions of
lpr/lpd, trying LPRng, and trying CUPS.  I'm back with lpr/lpd only with a
new version and things are appearing very stable and reliable.

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com