Re: [TCLUG:8712] Foot-wetting project (newbie question)

Brian N. Larson said:
> Is the declarative statement in the last clause of the last sentence above
> true?

Yes.

> Do I just configure the Linux box with a static IP address (which all our
> PCs have anyway), point the office computers to log into it for mail
> delivery, and have our ISP change the DNS entries for mail for our company
> to the new server?

No, but that's really a 3-in-1 question.  Taking the parts separately:

- No, giving the server a static IP is not, strictly speaking, required.  But
you should do it anyhow (at least to start with) because it will make things
a lot easier.

- Yes, you will need to tell your other boxen that they should go to a
different place to get mail.

- No, the DNS entries don't have to be changed.  You can use fetchmail to
have your mail server periodically check the ISP's mail server for new mail.
If you're connected to the net 24/7, you may as well have the domain point
to your in-house server (although that opens up a host os security concerns,
of course).  If you're using an on-demand connection, fetchmail is a better
choice.  (Also, your ISP may charge more if you tell them you're putting a
full-time server on your connection.  With fetchmail, they won't know the
difference.)

> Do I need any software that I won't find on the RH6.0 distribution CDs?

I don't use Red Hat, but I highly doubt that you'll need anything they don't
give you.

> Any tips for going about this?

Install Linux, set up samba (so your Linux box can pretend to be a Windows
box and make the real Windows boxen happy), install an MTA (I use exim, but
there are other, more popular, options like sendmail and qmail), optionally
install fetchmail, and come back here with any more specific questions that
may arise.  Oh, and you'll probably want to install a POP or IMAP server,
too, so programs like Netscape/MSIE, Exchange, or Eudora can retrieve mail.

> Any pitfalls I should be prepared for?

Nothing springs to mind.