Re: [TCLUG:8685] Problem booting install floppy/cdrom (cracked

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 05:06:42PM -0500, Mark Dalton wrote:

> Darn, it was a bad floppy drive (apparently), and I have asked him to
> replace the SCSI cdrom also (just as a last ditch effort).
>
> It appears it was a bizzare coincedance..
> 	- Systems cracked into.. files unedittable (for root on the local disk)

something you may want to look into is the 'chattr' command ... it has an
'immutable' flag which will set the file so that it cannot be changed ... ie,
no copy, rename, delete, link, edit, etc ... only root can use this command
on a file, and that may be what the cracker did ... just a thought.

--

  		-	  -	-  -  --  --- -----[ whisper@bitstream.net ]

"There's no intentions worthy of mention
 If I never try."

  -    -   -- -  -- ----[ 83 C0 55 57 7D AF 81 A1  7B 14 49 0C A0 7F 45 E8 ]