Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

By far the biggest complaint I get from people using
Linux is that it feels poorly laid out and misplanned.

The LHS does not help with this, it just makes it worse.

It bothers me that I have to look in /usr/man, /usr/local/man,
/usr/doc,/usr/local/doc/,/usr/share/man,/usr/local/share/man,
etc. just to find documentation!  How horrible is that?

Looking at a SuSE system, here, let's say I want to look at my
apache installation.  Here's what I see:

/etc/httdp/ --> Configuration files (I like this)
/usr/doc/packages/apache --> Some docs
/usr/local/httpd --> cgi-bin, htdocs, icons, and include
/usr/man --> More docs
/usr/sbin --> Some apache executables
/usr/bin --> Other apache executables
/var/cache/httpd --> Beginning of var madness
/var/lock/subsys/httpd --> It keeps going
/var/log/httpd* --> Logs
/var/run --> PID #

Also note that there isn't an apachectl to work with, you have to
use the SysV init scripts.  Urgh.

Now, for my customized system at home:
/web --> All apache

Or perhaps how it would be on Faeriedist:
/etc/httpd --> Apache configuration
/var/httpd --> Apache var stuff
/opt/httpd (maybe) --> Apache executables, and htdocs
/usr/doc --> Apache docs
/usr/man --> Apache man

Much simpler.  I like my way better, but /web is a little too nonstandard.  :)

I do think that having everything in /opt/httpd would be good, too.  At
work, we can pick up and move whole installations of software at any
time by moving *one* directory.  (and creating a symlink)  That capability
is extremely handy!

Nick Reinking