[rant] pdf on the web

<RANT>
        am I the only person who despises .pdf files on the web? it's not
very portable (not everyone has a .pdf viewer); it sucks huge chunks of
memory; it's slow; and it's usually harder to read than an HTML document,
because you're forced into the inappropriate "piece of paper" paradigm that
computers in general should be trying to get away from!

        in my case, the pisser is that Acrobat is misconfigured on my
computer (don't ask me how to fix it either); such that Netscrape complains
about an "out of memory error" when it tries to launch Acrobat itself.
however, if I launch Acrobat by hand; then things work (aside from the
slowness and difficulty of reading).
        I guess i shouldn't expect much better from WinLose95. ;( ;(

so *please* people, *don't* put documents in .pdf form, if you ever want
people to read them!

</RANT>

sorry. just had to let that out.
3ware (www.3ware.com) has some IDE RAID controllers I'm trying to check out;
and they put the specs in .pdf form. ;(

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (612) 682-1091