Re: [TCLUG:12329] Bill Gates

On Jan 13, 2000, Scott <pope@ossuary.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Eric M. Hopper wrote:
>
> > 	Ahh, so unless you can diagnose problems in complicated
> > electronic gadgets, you're helpless?
>
>      When I first started out playing with this kinda stuff
> I didn't know my ass from my elbow.  That didn't cause me to
> just give up and have everyone do it all for me.  Sure
> there's lots of stuff I still don't know, but I at least try
> to figure out problems myself instead of letting other
> people deal with them.

You could say these exact same things about your car.  I, personally, am
perfectly capable of learning how to fix and maintain cars, and even
harbor a mild interest to do so, but that doesn't mean I have the time
and resources to actually do it.  I barely have time to spare as it is,
let alone time enough to spend a Saturday afternoon replacing the brake
drums on my car.  Part of what makes a complex society run smoothly is
specialization.  Everyone can't work on their own cars, and everyone
can't work on their own computers.  If everyone did the same thing,
nothing else would get done.  (c:

> > 	I wish they had more columnists who went out and did things like
> > interview the Disney people, to find out how they _felt_ about what they
> > do, or summarized the collective pain, rage and frustration of hundreds
> > of dispossessed kids.

FWIW, I don't mind Katz either.  I'm sure there are many people on both
sides of the fence.  Didn't Katz offer to leave awhile back if people
voted him out?

John