Re: [TCLUG:12422] Meat to chew on for the hackfest

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Shawn T . Amundson wrote:

> I'm not interested in an experimentfest.  But the idea of a real
> linux software development hackfest catches my attention.  How many
> other free software developers are there here now?

Well, Nick and I are getting started as developers. Eric seems very
knowledgeable, but I don't know if he has any projects cooking. Randy,
whom I'm CCing, has a lot of experience, a lot of cool projects, and very
little free time (natch).

> What would be fun is to take someone's pet project and finish it
> off sufficiently to be usable.

Yeah. I was also thinking lectures or tutorials on specific subjects would
be cool. 'How to do some cool thing with Gtk+', 'Wheee, Mesa', 'Weird
arcane GCC bugs'. Not to burden you, Shawn, but a 'How I got GIMP to run
on BeOS' talk would be really cool.

The thing to do for the space problem, I think, is to rent a hotel suite
or three for the 24-72 (?) hour period. We could have a sleeping area, a
discussion area, and a workstation area (for example). This raises the bar
to entry ($$), sadly, but I think it would be more amenable to serious
work than cramming 5-10 peeps in an apartment. The cost would go down as
the number of participants goes up.

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/

Let go of the hangers-on.