Re: [TCLUG:12617] Full vs 1/2 Duplex

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 02:10:46PM -0600, Jonathan Kline wrote:
> Is anyone an expert is the areas of Full vs. 1/2 Duplex?  For
> example does Linux support Full?  Do you need any special
> hardware(switches,hubs)?  Can 1/2 a network run at Full Duplex and
> the Other at Full?  Maybe just the servers could run in Full Duplex?
> Any ideas?  Does duplexing Create Packet Collision Problems?

As long as your switch or hub can handle full duplex you can use it when
ever you want as long as both ends are set up for it.  If you set your nic
card to full duplex or auto sense and the switch/hub is at half duplex you
will end up with slower than half duplex speeds.  At least in my experience
anyway.  I am not even sure if there are hubs that you can set the ports to
full duplex on them but most switches allow both as a per port setting.

Jackie

Jacqueline Santopietro
santo004@tc.umn.edu