bad day (update)

Hi again,

Here's a little progress report:

I wasn't able to get anything working by specifying any sort of init=
parameter, so I downloaded a Slackware 4.0 boot floppy and the rescue
disk.

After booting the Slack disk and rescue floppy, I started trying to poke
around my system a bit. (The Slackware disk creates about a 4 MB system in
RAM that you can use to do some simple fixes.) I created a 'root' and
'home' directory in the /mnt directory of the Slack ramdisk and tried to
mount my / and /home partitions. The system told me that I should e2fsck
the partitions first, so I did that and started looking.

First, I went to /mnt/root (should actually be my system /) and found that
there was no /etc directory. I had /sbin, /var, and so on, but no /etc.
Since /etc doesn't live in its own partition, it seems that it should have
been there. Then I went to /mnt/home and found *nothing* but a lost+found
directory. This is troubling to say the least.

Is it possible that my /home and /etc files have disappeared? I have a
full system backup that's about two weeks old so I could get things back.
(Assuming that I could run bru off of this Slackware system?) Any words of
advice from anyone? Am I doing something incorrectly?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson        | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S. | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/