Vanilla List Maling List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2334] Recording INL games

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 you wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 12:43:54AM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
>>
>> Just use rcs2log, that will make the ChangeLog for you. I personally do not
>> like the $Log$, as it make for long source files.
>
>I also dislike $Log$ with a vengence.  Anyway, it is an issue of personal
>preference as long as the changes are documented somewhere.  I tend to

After all this cons against the $Log$, here some pros why I like it:

1) I work offline and each single dialin which is required for checking the
cvs logs costs at least one telephone unit. That is identicaly to playing
10 minutes netrek online.

2) If I search for a bug, the first thing I do is checking the changelog,
to find out what changed recently, because most of the problems are
usually introduced due to newly added features.

3) I don't print sources on paper and disk space costs nothing. So
larger files don't hurt at all. I also master my Editor, so that I'm able to
jump to the correct position quickly.

4) I sometimes grep the whole source tree for some changes.

5) The purpose of source control is mastering changes and beeing able
to undo errornous additions quickly. So as a rule you should never
add/change more than one feature without comiting the code.

Each workbench should not exceed more that one day work. At work I
check in all my files at least at the end of the day.

6) In our company I participated already on several very big projects,
>500 MJ and there is no single project, where automatic Log inclusion
is missing and that has some reasons ;-)

Kurt (007)

--
Kurt Siegl / Franzberg 4, A-4483 Hargelsberg, Austria
Email: 007@netrek.org       Tel (ISDN):   *(7225)7017