Newbie Question

I am trying to install Redhat Linux 6.0 on my NEC Versa LX Laptop.  It
isn't working!  Whenever I try to load X Windows, the screen goes black.
This happens when XConfigurator attempts to load X Windows (to test it) as
well as when I type "startx".  I even tried the "Fold & Sneak" method, but
to no avail.  The BIOS version is, I think, 4.3.  Would v4.0 solve my
problem?  Is Linux compatible with LCD displays?  Here is some more info
about my system:

Processor: PII 300
LCD Display:  14.1

I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Thank you,
Ethan Quirt