Re: [TCLUG:4063] More libs problems (libdb.so.3)

> I'm starting to realize that sometimes lib rpms need to be installed with a
> -Uvh (uninstall and reinstall) and sometimes with an -ivh (install 2
> versions of the package) but I'm pretty confused about how to tell which is
> appropriate when.  Is there a way to tell without having to repeatedly
> reinstall old libs?

You're somewhat incorrect about this..  the -Uvh means that you're
upgrading, plus you get the nifty little horizontal progress bar.  -ivh
should only be used if you know you don't already have another version
of the library on your system, or you need to have two versions on your
system for some reason..  However, you really only _need_ to use -ivh
when you're forcing two versions of the same library/program to be
installed.  -Uvh will still install the library if it doesn't already
exist.

The dangerous thing to do with RPM is 'rpm -e <old-library>', 'rpm -U
<new-library>'  If you try and do this with libc, for instance, rpm will
probably segfault when you try and run it the second time (since the C
library has disappeared.)  However, there are still times when erasing,
then re-installing, is a good idea (but I can't really think of any off
the top of my head..)

I've never had a RedHat (paper) manual to look at, and I don't know what
they might suggest in there, but I know the info out on the web on how
to use RPM isn't terribly good.
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.1