Re: [TCLUG:9583] flamewar

On Oct 31, 1999, Joel A Koepp <jkoepp@atlas.socsci.umn.edu> wrote:
> ** Chris Kesler wrote:
> > myself from this list.  This mailing list _is_ a very useful tool for the
> > interchange of information.  And I don't want to see it go the way of
> > USENET.  Let's keep the ratio of useful-info/flame-war-crap high.  I'm not
> > going to name names; you know who you are.

Flame war?  I thought it was a rational debate about Linux
distributions.  A few of the comments were a little pointed, but I
didn't see any flames.  I don't see the harm in discussing issues other
than Linux administration.  Part of using Linux is knowing what works
and what doesn't, and why.

> The Cu-mine/Athlon and RPM/deb stuff belongs elsewhere, IMHO.

Huh?  So it's on-topic to discuss how to use package tools, but
off-topic to discuss the pros and cons of how they're implemented?
Are we perhaps blowing things out of proportion here?  What *is* the
official list policy regarding discussion topics?  What is the official
definition of a "flame war"?

John