Re: [TCLUG:18657] RoadRunner service?

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> Here are my recent experiences with RoadRunner:
>
> [1] Fast turnaround.  I ordered service on 30 May, got it
>     installed yesterday, working last night.  One week.
>     Anyone know the length of the DSL waiting list?

I ordered it on Monday, should have it by Saturday.... (but we'll see if that
happens)

> [2] Linux neutral.  I didn't hide the fact that I was going
>     to be running Linux; it never came up.  They didn't put
>     the kibosh on me or anything.  DHCP works; I'm happy.

They are neutral, but don't support it and won't fix problems if they know you
have it.  I should also point out, however, there is a HUGE difference between
MediaOne RoadRunner and TimeWarner.  TW owns the RR network and MO simply
borrows from them.  If you're MO, they don't support it and don't allow
services.  If you're TW, they DO allow services, and are completely NEUTRAL to
linux.  (BTW: MediaOne's level two tech support is actually TW's level two tech
support.  Level one and three are paid personally by MO.  Don't ask me why they
do this...)

> [3] Services verboten.  The user agreement specifically says
>     these are not OK.  However they offer POP, SMTP, NNTP,
>     and some web space from their servers.  So far I'm happy
>     with this setup.  Ask me again in a month.
>
> [4] No static IPs.  :-(

:-(

> [5] Extra bastardly charges: $6/mo rental fee for cable modem,
>     extra $10 on basic service since I don't have cable TV.
>     Both of these are pure bullshit, and not highly advertised
>     either.

With MediaOne, I don't pay for CableModem Rental.  It's built into the
49.95/mo.  I guess you could say I do, but it's not a separate charge.

> [6] Free coasters, plus hours of entertainment reading the
>     instructions on how to Navigate the Information Superhiway.
>
> So far the fun outweighs the pain.
>
> John

Eric